Four Planets in a line.

One of our most popular posts is about the big moon when it was close to Planet Earth back in April.
This month is also good for star gazing.
Remember…. this interesting past time is man’s oldest hobby.

This week, Jupiter is lining up with Venus, Mercury and Mars. They are visible early in the morning across Australia’s eastern skies.

The alignment of the four planets happens only once every 50 to 100 years.

The last time these planets were observed together was in October 1910.

So get up early this weekend and look low in the sky and to the East before the sun rises.
Leave us a comment, or if you can’t see the planets watch the video instead. ( It’s been too cloudy for us to see the stars this week!)

10 thoughts on “Four Planets in a line.

1. Dear MLY,
    Wow,
    That video was so cool! I think that was the smartest thing I have ever seen in my life.
    The planets are awesome how they change everywhere!
    From Zoe

2. Dear Zoe,
    I’m glad you watched the vid about the planets. I am interested in things that only happen once in a lifetime- this is one of those things. AMAZING!
    From Mrs Lynch

3. Dear Mrs Lynch and MLY
    I haven’t talked to you in so long! I lost the link when your blog moved to global2.

We are studying the solar system this term and this video will be great for B4 children to look at.
    We have been receiving messages from an ‘alien’ who crash-landed on the moon. Some of the ‘space debris’ landed in our school yard.
    We are helping him find out about our planet!

It’s good to make contact again.

from Mrs McKenzie

4. Dear Mrs McKenzie and class,
    What a surprise! Isn’t it amazing that we can find one another on the web! What a small world! We have been watching your blog go from strength to strength. You have really managed to get your blog out there. I need a few lessons in the next step.
    We noticed that you have some great learning activities about the alien who is sending you messages. We have a guided reading text that will be perfect for a reading group to study this term. I will let you know the title, author and publisher tomorrow.
    Our six Gr 3/4 classes are studying Recreation and Leisure time activities. Next week we will play old fashioned traditional games. We’ll keep you posted on the LLPS Middle Unit Blog.
    Mr Lynch is a school principal and he visited some schools in Aukland last term. The Principals were very impressed with all the wonderful things that are happening in your schools.
    We have an extra hour with the computers tomorrow. Maybe we will leave some comments on your blog.
    Do you enjoy Mathletics? We are all hooked!
    From Mrs Lynch and MLY

5. Dear Mrs Lynch,
    The four planets in a line was very interesting.
    Sophie my sister, and I liked the video alot.
    Caitlin.

6. Hi Mrs Lynch & MLY,

I enjoyed watching the video of the planets lining up during Education Week Open Class. We heard about this on the news last week and tried to look at it, but there were too many clouds to see anything. What a shame!

Kathy

7. Dear Kathy,
    Thank you for coming to our class today. We think it is wonderful when the parents see what we are doing- especially when they comment on our blog.
    From Mrs Lynch

8. Dear Caitlin,
    Thank you for your comment. I think that all the fantastic things that happen in the night sky is amazing. i’m glad Sophie liked it as well.
    From MrsLynch

9. Dear Miss Lynch,
    Mum and i watch the show of plantes in a line.
    That was fun.
    From Courtney Huhn

10. Pingback: The Lunar Eclipse | LLPS Middle Unit Blog